Scholarships & Loans
Fulfilling our educational and vocational goals is one of life’s most empowering and impactful objectives. At JFCS, we annually help hundreds of Jewish students achieve these goals by providing them with loans and grants (scholarships).
Our loans and grants generally are used to offset the expenses of college, graduate or vocational school, professional programs, and other accredited programs.
Eligible students may apply for financial aid up to $6,000 annually to defray their educational and vocational training costs.
• Our average need-based grant (scholarship) awards are $500 – $1,500.
• Our average deferred, below prime interest loan awards are $1,000 – $6,000.
Incoming and returning college students are encouraged to attend one of our free FAFSA College for Less workshops, which take place in October and November of 2016.
To qualify for Grants (Scholarships), students must fulfill all three requirements below:
- You are Jewish, and have been a legal and permanent resident of Sonoma, Marin, San Francisco, San Mateo, or northern Santa Clara counties for at least two years prior to submitting your application. (Although not required, candidates who demonstrate a meaningful connection and/or commitment to the Jewish community are desired.)
- Submitted a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)*, and can demonstrate financial need based on you and/or your family’s 2015 federal tax return(s), and Income and Expense Form(s).
- Currently in good academic standing, according to the guidelines of your school, with a minimum overall 3.0 GPA.
To qualify for Loans, students must fulfill all three requirements above AND:
- Submitted a Guarantor application with a guarantor qualified to co-sign for your loan request.
When Can I apply?
- Anytime after you have been accepted, or are currently enrolled in a community or state college, university, vocational training, or other accredited institution of higher learning.
- Received your financial aid award from your educational institution.
All 2016-2017 applications must be postmarked by October 31, 2016.
Get started today!
To receive future FAFSA updates, and notifications about other upcoming JFCS college financial planning workshops contact Michelle below.