Direct Support Professional – Full-time
JFCS is the oldest nonprofit in California and has been assisting residents of San Francisco, the Peninsula, Marin, and Sonoma Counties since it was founded in 1850. Through more than 40 high-quality, research-based social and educational programs, JFCS serves people of all faiths and backgrounds. With programs ranging from providing home care for seniors to sponsoring new parent workshops, from offering services for people with disabilities to providing therapy for children, from supporting victims of domestic abuse to delivering food to those in need, we are guided by the Jewish traditions of advancing human dignity for all, community responsibility, intergenerational ties, and repairing the world.
JFCS is hiring two (2) Direct Support Professionals. One DSP position is a full-time with benefits opportunity and the other position is a part-time without benefits opportunity.
Make a difference in the lives of adults with developmental and intellectual disabilities such as autism. Direct Support Professionals (Resident Mentors) are caring, positive role models who help neurodivergent adults lead safe, full, and independent lives. As a Resident Mentor, you’ll be a teacher, a role model, and a friend, helping the adults you work with achieve a great quality of life. Your clients will be living in a residential group setting and have low support needs. Some of them work, attend day programs, and volunteer in the community. Residents are in their 20s and 30s, are not aggressive, and are motivated to become more independent and social. You will support them in everything from daily routines such as making plans with friends, joining community events and holiday celebrations, grocery shopping and cooking, participating in recreational activities, and building skills around personal care and relationships. Enjoy fun outings in the Bay area including going to sports games and movies, bowling, kayaking, hiking, archery, and more!
OUR CAREER OPPORTUNITY:
JOB TITLE: Direct Support Professional (DSP) (Resident Mentor)
REPORTS TO: Director of Disability Services Program
EMPLOYMENT TYPE: Full-time with benefits
JOB LOCATION: San Francisco, CA
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
- Pay Range: $27/hour
- Hiring bonus (Subject to eligibility requirements)
- Opportunity for career advancement
- Employer 403(b) retirement match plus additional employer contribution (subject to eligibility)
- Cafeteria plan with medical, dental, vision, FSA, Employer-paid life, and disability insurance
- 16 holidays (10 federal and up to 6 Jewish holidays), annually
- 3 weeks of vacation and 2 weeks of sick leave, annually
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Works with the Residential Manager and residents to develop and carry out an Individual Program Plan (IPP) to assist residents in reaching their highest level of independent living
- Provides support to develop and follow a consistent schedule of independent living skills instruction and daily routines with resident input
- Promotes and teaches meal planning and preparation, shopping, hygiene, safety awareness, self-advocacy, personal, domestic, medical, financial, social/recreational, communication, and behavior management skills to maintain independence
- Monitor medication and accompany residents to medical appointments
- Assists with transportation or training to obtain transportation
- Support community integration and development of social skills through encouraging and facilitating recreational activities
- Completes daily written documentation of activities as assigned, including plans, progress notes, and reports
- Prepares appropriate meals for residents
- Has the ability to exercise mature judgment and relate to individuals in a warm and caring manner
- Attend regularly scheduled staff meetings
- Safeguards client privacy and confidentiality, making sure protected health information is secured
- Maintains good working relationships with all staff to help the whole JFCS Agency operate as a positive, coordinated unit
- Bachelor’s degree in human services related field preferred
- 1+ years of experience working with individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities required
- Experience in using MS Office applications and general computer skills
- Pre-employment requirements: TB, physical, and drug screening
- Must have received or be willing to receive the COVID-19 vaccination by the date of hire to be considered
EXCITED TO APPLY?
To be considered for this position, you must meet the requirements and competencies listed above. Application materials will be reviewed as they are received and well-qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview.
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply, including minorities, women, veterans, and disabled individuals. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with Federal, state and local laws, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran, or disability status. JFCS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of employees so classified.