Educational Loans & Grants
Fulfilling our educational and vocational goals is one of life’s most empowering and impactful objectives. At JFCS, we annually help hundreds of Jewish students achieve these goals by providing them with loans and grants (scholarships).
Our loans and grants generally are used to offset the expenses of college, graduate or vocational school, professional programs, and other accredited programs.
Eligible students may apply for financial aid up to $6,000 annually to defray their educational and vocational training costs.
- Our average need-based grant (scholarship) awards are $500 – $4,000.
- Our subsidized loan* awards are $1,000 – $6,000.
*Our 2019 – 2020 interest rate for all student loans is 5.05%
To qualify for one of our Grants (Scholarships), and/or Loans, students must fulfill the requirements below:
- Identify as Jewish and show meaningful involvement with the community
- You and your family are legal and permanent residents in one of the following five counties we serve*: Sonoma, Marin, San Francisco, San Mateo, or Northern Santa Clara.
*at least two years prior to submitting your application.
- Submitted a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and can demonstrate financial need based on you and/or your family’s 2018 federal tax return(s).
- Currently in good academic standing, according to the guidelines of your school, with a minimum overall 3.0 GPA.
- Submit a guarantor application with a qualified individual who can co-sign for your loan request.
When Can I apply?
- Our online application will open on April 1, 2019 (8:00 am PST)
- After you have been accepted, or are currently enrolled in a state college, university, vocational training, or other accredited institution of higher learning.
- Received your financial aid award from your educational institution.
All 2019 – 2020 online applications must be postmarked by midnight PST on Friday, August 2, 2019.
You can complete your online application for 2019 – 2020 school year soon. A link to our application will appear below on April 1, 2019.
To receive future notifications about other upcoming JFCS college financial planning workshops contact Michelle Lamphere below.
All incoming and returning college students are encouraged to attend one of our free workshops:
- FAFSA “Cash for College” workshops in October.
- Finding and Saving Money for College Workshops, in January 2019. Find out more and register >
Partial funding for the JFCS scholarship program is provided by generous individual support, foundation grants, and named endowment funds. If interested in contributing, please call Barbara Farber at 415-449-3858 or email: [email protected].