Scholarships & Loans
Fulfilling our educational and vocational goals is one of life’s most empowering and impactful objectives. At JFCS, we annually help hundreds of Jewish students achieve these goals by providing them with loans and grants (scholarships).
Our loans and grants generally are used to offset the expenses of college, graduate or vocational school, professional programs, and other accredited programs.
Eligible students may apply for financial aid up to $6,000 annually to defray their educational and vocational training costs.
• Our average need-based grant (scholarship) awards are $500 – $2,000.
• Our subsidized loan * awards are $1,000 – $6,000.
*Our 2018-2019 interest rate for all student loans is 4.45%
To qualify for Grants (Scholarships), students must fulfill all three requirements below:
- You are Jewish, and have been a legal and permanent resident of Sonoma, Marin, San Francisco, San Mateo, or northern Santa Clara counties for at least two years prior to submitting your application. (Although not required, candidates who demonstrate a meaningful connection and/or commitment to the Jewish community are desired.)
- Submitted a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)*, and can demonstrate financial need based on you and/or your family’s 2017 federal tax return(s), and Income and Expense Form(s).
- Currently in good academic standing, according to the guidelines of your school, with a minimum overall 3.0 GPA.
To qualify for Loans, students must fulfill all three requirements above AND:
- Submitted a Guarantor application with a guarantor qualified to co-sign for your loan request.
When Can I apply?
- On May 1, 2018 (8:00 am PST) you can submit our online application.
- After you have been accepted, or are currently enrolled in a state college, university, vocational training, or other accredited institution of higher learning.
- Received your financial aid award from your educational institution.
All 2018-2019 applications must be postmarked by midnight PST on Wednesday, August 1, 2018.
All incoming and returning college students are encouraged to attend one of our free workshops:
- FAFSA “Cash for College” workshops this October Find dates and register here >
- Scholarship “Finding and Saving Money for College” workshops, in January 2019
Create your online account and begin completing your application for the 2018-2019 school year on May 1, 2018!
To receive future FAFSA updates, and notifications about other upcoming JFCS college financial planning workshops contact Michelle below.