Under the direction of the Director of Peninsula Children’s Clinical Services at the JFCS Center for Children and Youth, the Child Therapist provides psychotherapy to children and families using a range of modalities that include play therapy and Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. In this role, the clinician also works as part of a multidisciplinary team that includes parent educators, psychologists, occupational therapists, and a speech therapist. The Center for Children and Youth is an exciting new initiative that brings together clinical services, professional training from national experts, and public policy advocacy to change the landscape for families with comprehensive support.
JFCS Center for Children and Youth offices are located in San Mateo off of Highway 92 and in downtown Palo Alto. This position comes with a private office, plenty of play therapy toys and supplies, free parking in a private lot, access to full kitchen and administrative assistance. The environment is child-friendly, well lit, and fully decorated.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Assessment and Treatment of Children and Adolescents
- Conducts child/family evaluations and formulates goals and treatment plans relevant to diagnosis and presenting problems in keeping with standards to provide psychotherapy
- Provides psycho-education for parents and children as appropriate.
- Consults to preschools, elementary schools, middle schools and high schools providing training to teachers regarding learning and behavioral issues.
- Works with family members and the team of JFCS professionals to implement treatment plans.
- Participates in staff training and collaborative meetings, as appropriate.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position 50% of the time.
- The person in this position needs to occasionally move about inside the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc.
- Constantly operate a computer and other office productivity machinery, such as calculator, copy machine, and computer printer.
- May be required to lift up to 25 pounds.
- Exposure to low to moderate noise levels characteristic of working in an office environment.
- Licensed MFT or Social Worker in California
- Expertise in working with children and adolescents and their families
- Minimum of one year experience post license
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively as part of a team.
- Flexibility to work later afternoons and some evenings.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Valid California driver’s license and car available for use in work.
This is a full time, exempt position with benefits. Competitive compensation will depend on experience and proficiency level. We offer a robust array of benefits including: medical, dental, and vision coverage; paid holidays; paid vacation and sick leave; 403(b) plan; life and disability insurance.
Please submit cover letter and resume to [email protected] with Child Therapist in your subject line.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply, including minorities, women, veterans, and disabled individuals. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with Federal, state and local laws, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran, or disability status. JFCS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.