JFCS is seeking a dynamic Assistant Controller who will work under the direction of the Controller and assist the Controller in the management of all financial accounting and reporting activities, including journal entry preparation, general ledger processing, account reconciliation, bank reconciliation, budgeting, forecasting and analysis, and other accounting tasks. This position is a steward of the agency’s financial resources and is required to promote the agency’s economic viability by helping the Finance Department manage its accounting systems and assets with integrity.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
including but not limited to:
- Planning, organizing, and reviewing a variety of financial activities and programs, including, but not limited to, preparation of the annual budget and monthly budget vs. actual variance reports.
- Preparing quarterly GAAP financials statements, operating results narratives, and ad hoc reports requested by the Finance Committee, Executive Director, CFO, Controller, and Program Directors.
- Overseeing accounting for a supporting organization, including coordinating preparation of journal entries, investment accounting, investment and banking reconciliations, year-end audit, tax return work papers, financial statements and footnotes, and other financial and regulatory functions and reporting as need.
- Overseeing investment accounting, including preparation of monthly journal entries, analysis of monthly investment activity, reconciliation of the investment balance sheet accounts and preparation of investment reports for investment committee.
- Reviewing reconciliation of all bank, credit card, and other balance sheet accounts reconciled by the Junior Accountant or Senior Accountant. Performing monthly and quarterly reconciliation of other balance sheet accounts as necessary and preparing monthly and quarterly summary analyses of assigned balance sheet accounts.
- Primary responsibility for Finance support for Development Department including production of Named Fund Reports and Donor Advised Fund Reports. Performs back up for processing stock gift transactions, working with stockbrokers and Development Department staff. Backup and support for financial services for JFCS’ Endowment Program as assigned, including internal endowed funds, split-interest gifts and donor advised funds and backup and support for grants and contract accounting and reporting.
- Supports the Controller and the CFO in reviewing and preparing all budget plans, and generates budget explanations using spreadsheets and accounting software. Reviews all budget amendments and conducts presentation of budget analysis before the CFO.
- Assisting Controller with preparations for worker’s compensation audit, 403(b) audit, year-end financial statement audit, tax return work papers, and year-end financial statements and footnotes.
- Perform periodic internal control reviews of accounts for fiduciary and conservatorship clients, payroll, petty cash, gas and food vouchers, and other programs as requested
- Recommends, implements, and maintains accounting systems under generally accepted accounting principles. Proposes policies and procedures specific to reimbursement and reporting requirements to meet the needs of the agency. Participates in new system selection and implementation.
- Acting as the Controller in his/her absence. Supervising the Accounts Payable Accountant and the File Clerk.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Proven knowledge and understanding of financial and accounting principles.
- Systems experience, preferably with Sage 300, Intacct, Adaptive Planning, QuickBooks, HRIS Payroll systems, and MS Access.
- Demonstrated system implementation and process improvement skills.
- Skilled in the use of personal computers and related software applications. Excellent Microsoft Excel skills; proficient in Microsoft Outlook and Word as well as other database and spreadsheet applications.
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy; ability to meet deadlines in a timely manner.
- Demonstrated ability to protect information that is sensitive and confidential.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and time management skills.
- Knowledge of proper internal controls including segregation of duties.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- College degree in Accounting, Business Administration, or related field, is required; CPA is a plus.
- Solid knowledge of GAAP (Generally Accepted Accounting Principles).
- Minimum of five years’ experience in payroll, accounting, bookkeeping, and working with budgets in a finance department is required;
- A minimum of one year of supervisory experience is preferred;
- Non-profit experience is required.
- Proven experience in possessing the knowledge, skills and experience necessary to perform the core functions of the job duties.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Competitive compensation will depend on experience and proficiency level. We offer a robust array of benefits including: medical, dental, and vision coverage; paid holidays, paid vacation, paid sick leave; 403bplan; life and disability insurance.
Please submit a cover letter and your resume to [email protected] with Assistant Controller in your subject line.
To be considered for this position, you must meet the requirements and competencies listed above. Application materials will be reviewed as they are received and well-qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview.
***LOCAL CANDIDATES ONLY. NO RELOCATION OFFERED FOR THIS ROLE***
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply, including minorities, women, veterans, and disabled individuals. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with Federal, state and local laws, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran, or disability status. JFCS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of employees so classified.