Donor Advised Funds
A contribution of $10,000 creates your own private “mini-foundation,” allowing you to take a tax deduction today and make recommendations—now or in the future—for the distribution of your Fund’s earnings or principal, either to JFCS programs or to other qualifying charities.
How It Works
With a Donor Advised Fund you can recommend an unlimited number of non-binding grants (minimum $100) from your Fund to qualified charitable organizations of your choice at any time. A Donor Advised Fund with JFCS is simple to set up, through an easy-to-complete written agreement with your minimum contribution of $10,000. JFCS will act as a steward of your Fund, investing the monies prudently, and will provide you with quarterly reports of your Fund’s status.
Once your Donor Advised Fund has been established you can make grant recommendations at your convenience through our simple online form or by contacting a member of our Development staff. Whether you want to give back, share your philanthropic values with your family, or build a legacy, JFCS’ professional staff will manage the administration and financial reporting of your Fund so you can focus your energy on giving to the organizations you find most worthwhile.
Benefits of Donor Advised Funds:
- Your Fund can be established quickly and easily, with a minimum of paperwork.
- You stay actively involved, recommending the charities to receive distributions from the Fund at any time.
- Enjoy flexibility, administrative convenience, and cost savings by conducting charitable giving through a centralized single Fund.
- You may name family members as additional advisors, promoting a legacy of family philanthropy and teaching tzedakah to your children and grandchildren.
- You receive an immediate income tax deduction for the full value of the gift, yet you may make recommendations from the Fund at any time in the future.
- You bypass capital gains taxes on appreciated securities contributed to the Fund.
- You have access to an experienced team of philanthropic professionals.
- Upon maturity the principal goes directly to JFCS, thereby avoiding estate taxes.