Under the supervision of the Controller, the Junior Accountant is responsible for tracking and reporting for loans, grants, and individual assistance issued to Agency clients; for monitoring the loan aging and notifying the loan officer and management of potential issues. The Junior Accountant is the custodian for food vouchers and petty cash and is also for responsible for mailing out accounts payable checks. The Junior Accountant understands and assists in meeting budget and services goals, understands the mission and objectives of Jewish Family and Children’s Services and works within the limitations of the Agency’s resources and performs all duties in compliance with agency standards.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Tracking and reporting on the use of funds designated for individual assistance or financial aid.
- Loan and grant system operation and processing, coordination and entry of loan and grant disbursements, production and mailing of payment coupon books for clients paying by check, timely production of loan and grant accounting and statistical reports, and other tasks related to loans and grants program administration. Organization and maintenance of loan system files and records.
- Tracking and reporting holocaust survivor clients in the Claims Conference database (Diamond), ensuring accuracy of client info in the quarterly evolvCS activity reports, and providing information of new clients for Claims Conference grants reporting. Also assisting in preparing grantor reports for Claims Conference reports including HSEAP reports.
- Posting client payments to the evolvCS, SEM, Homecare, Cleanerific, Adoption and Loan systems.
- Preparation of accurate and timely journal entries in coordination with monthly closing schedule including Homecare receivable write offs, loan & grant adjustments, Cleanerific revenue and adjustments, assist the Grants & Contracts Accountant with grant revenue recognition information.
- Reconciliation of Loans Receivable balance sheet accounts and other accounts as assigned.
- In rotation with other staff, performs other Finance Department functions including daily mail processing and similar duties.
- Custodian for food and gas vouchers and petty cash.
- Mails accounts payable checks.
- Provides back up and vacation relief for various Finance Department functions, including, credit card processing and preparation of reports and analysis as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Excellent spreadsheet skills required. MS Access design and query skills strongly preferred.
- Excellent organization skills, attention to detail and ability to meet deadlines
- Excellent oral and written English communication skills.
- Ability to work both independently and effectively in cooperation with others.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Knowledge of and/or sensitivity to the provision of social services in a Jewish communal context desired.
Required Education and Experience
- College degree in Accounting, Business Administration, or related field.
- Two to three years’ related experience in accounting.
Compensation and Benefits
This is a full-time, hourly, non-exempt position with benefits. Competitive compensation will depend on experience and proficiency level. We offer a robust array of benefits, including medical, dental, and vision coverage; paid holidays; paid vacation and sick leave; 403(b) plan; and life and disability insurance.
Please apply here:
To be considered for this position, you must meet the requirements and competencies listed above. Application materials will be reviewed as they are received and well-qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview.
***LOCAL CANDIDATES ONLY. NO RELOCATION OFFERED FOR THIS ROLE***
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply, including minorities, women, veterans, and disabled individuals. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with Federal, state and local laws, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran, or disability status. JFCS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of employees so classified.